Acid Stripping and Powder Coating
Some wheels are prone to rotting and corrosion and there are a number of ways to treat this. Some companies ‘shot blast’ or ‘sand blast’ wheels to remove all the paint and corrosion.
We find this is a harsh process and can leave pitting; therefore we now use the latest techniques which involve us removing all the paint and corrosion in an acid bath. This is carried out at our depot. Due to the strength of the acid used we cannot do it on the mobile service. You can have your wheels painted to the original colour or if you fancy a change we can mix any colour you like. If you have a specific colour you would like you can supply us with a paint code and we will match it. The steps for the acid stripping and powder coating process are as follows:
- We come to your chosen destination and remove the wheels from your vehicle.
- The vehicle is then placed on axel stands for the duration that we have your wheels. If you are having just the one wheel done we will fit the spare for you if you have one. If you do not have space to leave your vehicle on axel stands we will bring your car to our depot and store it in our secure compound. We also have trade plates in order to transport untaxed vehicles from dealerships etc.
- Once the wheels arrive back at our depot the tyres are removed.
- The wheels are placed in the acid bath until all the paint is removed.
- We then jet wash the wheels to remove all the acid and loose paint.
- Any damage is then removed using a number of techniques.
- The wheels are then placed in our oven and heated up.
- We then prime the wheels and bake them again.
- The primer is then ‘flatted off’ to ensure a smooth paint finish.
- The wheels are then heated up again and painted in the colour of your choice and baked off again.
- We then lacquer the wheels to ensure a hard finish and bake them one final time.
- The wheels are left to cool before they have the tyres refitted.
- We balance the wheels before returning them to you and fitting them back to your vehicle.